10 Essentials for Engaging and Retaining Team Members With High Performance (Awareness)
Team-related development is an important consideration in the 21st Century workplace.
However, you need to ask yourself an important question before developing a team or teams:
Is “team” the correct structure for the depop follow bot organization of your work?
To assist you in answering this question, consider the following 10 aspects of team members working at high performance. Team members:
- interact interdependently through mutual support
- know why they are together, the reason is known to everyone
- help establish goals and objectives, sharing ownership and accountability
- demonstrate commitment to trustworthiness, caring, respect and fairness
- express ideas openly, where questions are welcomed
- exhibit open and transparent communication
- work through conflict into consensus
- utilize skills learned, encourage support given by team members
- participate in decision-making, and
- recognize each other
If your answer is no, check out other forms of groupings like groups, communities of practice, peer learning circles, mastermind, etc.
If yes, consider the impact these 10 essentials have on engaging and retaining people while functioning as a team.
The list is not in order. Yet all of these characteristics – when current – highlight high performance and the presence of key “team member” attributes.
- Leadership and management are participative and evident among all team memberswhile working within the team. Yet, one person is assigned team leadership when needed to represent the team outside of the team boundary. In addition, it’s helpful if everyone on the team uses coaching and facilitating to support each other and the realization of the mission of the team.
- Alignment of team vision and mission with organization vision and mission. This alignment suggests a cascade and contagious metaphor. The ideas of the organization mission and vision unfold (cascade) into the work of the team where the team reframes the overall statements into those that make the most sense to them (contagious).
- Task is connected with explicit criteria. The criteria of teamwork are clearly outlined in consideration of what is known about future requirements (must know and do) and requests (might know and do). Everyone is clear about the work ahead, confirm their comprehension and will work from the agreed upon intention: to do great work individually and together. More important, when the criteria are not met and/or inappropriate the team members will bring this point to the attention of the team sooner than later.
- Accountability for and Responsibility toconsiderations are made obvious to all. It is vital that all aspects of the job are made clear to each person so they can account for what they are responsible to do and know. In doing their work people must remain flexible in execution and diligent to improvisation for the situation.